When you are applying for a visa, you first have to fill out a Campus France Application. Please, for your own sake, read ALL THE WAY THROUGH their Step-by-Step page. If you don’t, you’ll make a mistake and then find yourself stressed and having to wait until your application is processed before you can fix the problem. (This is the mistake I made)
The Campus France Application is not at all intuitive. I made the mistake of assuming that I could figure it out without much effort. This page has links to various application types and help. If you are a study abroad student, go directly here. Read all of the steps through about three times and then read through the powerpoint presentation a couple of times before beginning. When you’ve done that, you’ll realize that what you think is required (based on the Campus France form) and what is actually required (on the powerpoint) are two different things. Also be sure to have the powerpoint up as reference while you are filling out the application.
There are still a few things that are unclear even with the Powerpoint.
- Step 6A on the powerpoint: Complete the Education Section
- The grading system used by your home university will probably be the numeric option (out of 4) if you’re in the USA.
- Scholarship: if you do not receive a scholarship from the French Government or the listed programs, leave that section on the first page blank.
- Step 6C: Complete the Goals Section
- Step 7: Sending Documents
- Be sure that you send this packet of information by registered mail. That way you will know when it arrives.
- On the money order: you can get this from your bank. I don’t know why Campus France asks for a copy of it too, but don’t forget to send it.
- Step 8: Checking your Campus France mailbox
- This step says “within about three weeks”. It took me about 10 days to receive an email regarding my application. Don’t allow this timeline reality to give you false hopes: definitely assume that it will take three weeks to receive your information and complete this application As Soon As Possible.